Stimulating translational research and improving the understanding of the impact of microplastics on human health
Task Force Information
An expert panel works to consolidate the current state of the art in dietary microplastics analysis. It will provide suggestions to further develop the methods towards a harmonised analytical methodology. The aim is to also address relevant health concerns associated with the effects of dietary micro-plastics on consumer health. Thus, the panel will:
- Support the harmonisation of approaches and methods to assess microplastics in food through research and validation recommendations.
- Review existing data (incl. data transfer and interpretation of other particle research fields) to support the health risk assessment of microplastic particles.
- Support standardizing organisations in approaches to stimulate comparative research on microplastics.
- Ongoing -
The initiative is working on delivering insights on the following aspects of the topic of Microplastics in Food:
- working definition of ‘microplastics in food’;
- guidelines for harmonisation of analytical approaches for dietary microplastics;
- an outreach event, informative web-seminar to provide science-based information on some of the public health concerns related to dietary microplastics.
- Upcoming -
Establish a multi-stakeholder platform for experts to discuss best practices and challenges regarding research in Microplastics. The aim is to accelerate scientific research and deepen the knowledge of the dangers of microplastics.
Completed Expert Groups
Overview of completed activities since 2021