Precautionary allergen labelling (PAL) was introduced by the food industry to help manage and communicate the possibility of reaction from the unintended presence of allergens in foods. However, in its current form, PAL is counterproductive for consumers with food allergies. The lack of agreed reference doses has resulted in inconsistent application of PAL by the food industry and in levels of contamination that prompt withdrawal action by enforcement officers. So there is a poor relationship between the presence or absence of PAL and actual reaction risk. This has led to a loss of trust in PAL, reducing the ability of consumers with food allergies to make informed choices. The result has been reduced avoidance, reduced quality of life and increased risk-taking by consumers who often ignore PAL. All contributing stakeholders agree that PAL must reflect actual risk.
• Review and finalise a short guide for patients and healthcare professionals about current precautionary allergen labelling;
• Develop a proposal to improve the approach to precautionary allergen labelling for consumers.
• Website that link comprising a short guide to current labelling for allergic consumers and healthcare professionals;
• Peer-reviewed manuscript proposing to improve the approach to precautionary allergen labelling for consumers;
• Short summary of proposed improvement of the approach to precautionary allergen labelling for consumers for policy makers.
How to Reach the Venue
By train: The station in Winchester is a mile from the venue. It is an hour from London Waterloo station although if you are travelling from the North it may be easier to use the cross-country service via Reading.
By airplane: Southampton Airport is 10 minutes from Winchester via train. Southampton Parkway Station is across the road from the airport with frequent connections to Winchester. There are many flights from across the UK, Ireland and Northern Europe to Southampton;
- Heathrow Airport is 50 miles from Southampton. The easiest transfer is by using the rail coach service via Woking (coach from any of the Heathrow terminals to Woking and then a train down to Winchester), which takes about 90 minutes in total. If there are a number of people travelling, it is worthwhile booking a taxi – 1 hour journey time (please ask for suggestions as to how to book).
- Gatwick Airport is about 50 miles from Southampton. The best transfer is via train to London Victoria or Clapham Junction and then down to Winchester. The journey time is 1.5-2.0 hours, so Heathrow airport is usually more convenient.
Please note that you must book your accommodation by email or telephone. Please contact Ms Lucy Demuth by email: H6619email@example.com / Subject: IFAAM Workshop/UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON EVENT or by telephone: +44 (0)1962 861611 / Meeting reference: IFAAM Workshop/UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON EVENT
The agreed single room rate (wifi and breakfast included) for our delegates in the Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, before 24th October 2016, is 100 GBP per night. To secure your room, you are strongly encouraged to register and book your room as early as possible and by 24th October 2016 at the latest.
The delegate rate per person is 48 GBP (full meeting). Please note that the registration fee does not include your accommodation.