06/09/2018 – 07/09/2018
To bring together key stakeholders from academia, industry, regulatory authorities and control laboratories involved in animal testing and to discuss the best approach(es) for alternatives and find consensus where necessary. The following subjects were discussed during the workshop:
• Emerging scientific tools and methodologies as alternatives to animal experimentation;
• Regulations governing data requirements for animal testing in nutrition and food safety.
The workshop aimed to discuss a draft guidance manuscript in which an overview of current regulations were provided, as well as tools and methodologies considered as potential alternatives to animal testing. A peer-reviewed publication covering the discussions will be produced soon after the workshop.
• Dr Paul Hepburn: Chair – Unilever, UK
• Dr Markus Fehr – DSM, CH
• Dr Maria Tabernero Urbieta – Madrid Institute of Advanced Studies Food, ES
• Dr Matthieu Flourakis – ILSI Europe, BE
• Dr Lucie Geurts – ILSI Europe, BE
The programme is available here.
- ILSI Europe’s Role in Developing Alternative Strategies for Animal Testing (Prof. Diána Bánáti, ILSI Europe, BE)
- Introduction to the Alternatives to Animal Testing Task Force (Dr Paul Hepburn, Unilever, UK)
- Presentation of the Manuscript (Dr Katrin Schütte, DG Environment, BE)
- Tools & Methodologies (Dr Maria Tabernero Urbieta, IMDEA Food, ES)
- Regulations: Additives, Flavourings, Enzymes, Novel Foods & Toxicology of Supplements (Dr Paul Hepburn, Unilever, UK)
- Regulations: Health Claims, Infant Formula, Food for Special Medical Purposes & Supplements (Dr Vassilis Triantis, FrieslandCampina, NL)
- Consideration for the Use of Animal Studies in the Risk Assessment of Genetically Modified Plants (Ms Laura Caneva, Bayer – Crop Science, BE)
Registration and Payment
Attendance at this 2-day workshop is upon invitation only and registrations should be made by 1st August 2018.
A few seats have been reserved for interested experts subject to a registration fee.
• Academia and public sector: €350
• Industry: €450
Requests should be sent to Dr Matthieu Flourakis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The registration covers:
• Admission to the 2-day workshop
• Abstract booklet
• Buffet lunch and refreshments on 6th and 7th September 2018
• Welcome dinner on 6th September 2018
Registration and payment of registration fee should be made by credit card prior to the event, preferably by 1st August 2018.
For registrations, all cancellations should be made in writing to Ms Ruth Marquet (email@example.com). Cancellations received before 15th July 2018 will be refunded minus €50 handling charges. Cancellations received after 15th July will not be refunded.
For hotel reservations, cancellations of hotel reservations received after 15th July 2018 will be charged in full. Substitutions of hotel reservations or registration are accepted if made in writing to Ms Ruth Marquet.
Venue and Accommodation
The event will be held at:
The Crowne Plaza Brussels – Le Palace
3 Rue Gineste
BE – 1210 Brussels
Tel : +32 2 203 62 00
The Crowne Plaza Brussels – Le Palace is a 4-star hotel ideally located at the Place Rogier in the centre of Brussels.
A number of standard guestrooms have been pre-booked at special rates in the Crowne Plaza Brussels – Le Palace.
Rate Single Room: €143.24/night
Rate Double Room: €158.24/night
Rates include buffet breakfast, free access to WiFi and to the fitness centre, €4.24 city tax and 6% VAT.
Contact: Dr Matthieu Flourakis, +32 2 775 91 42 – firstname.lastname@example.org